Future of Downtown Awards
Nominations Closed for the 2024 Award Season
Every year, the Downtown Austin Alliance recognizes dedicated people who make significant contributions or outstanding improvements to our downtown community at our annual Future of Downtown event.
Thank you to everyone who submitted applications for our Future of Downtown Awards; applications are now closed. Learn more about the award nomination process, available awards and previous award winners below.
Meredith Powell Award for Community Culture
This annual award is given to a champion for authentic and inclusive arts, culture, and sense of place in downtown.
The first Meredith Powell Award for Community Culture was awarded in 2023 to Meredith Powell, who has been a tireless advocate of the power of arts and culture to strengthen community and place. Meredith is a visionary in the arts community, as the former executive director of Art Alliance and founder of Public City. By elevating community voices and bringing life to underutilized spaces through art and activation, Meredith’s work has significantly contributed to downtown’s vibrancy for over 20 years.
Downtown Vision Award
This new to 2024 award will be given to a person, place, project or idea that has a significant impact on the community vision for downtown. The Downtown Vision includes four guiding pillars -Thriving Center, Welcoming Places, Growing Neighborhoods and Leading Mobility- and strives to ensure that downtown is a place that is loved by all Austinites. Transformative by nature, the Downtown Vision awardee will overtly demonstrate our core values of inclusion, impact and collaboration.
The 2024 award nomination process will open on January 17, 2024 at 8:00am. The form will close on February 14, 2024 at 5pm. There is no cost to nominate someone. Nominees should be in alignment with the intent of the awards as described above and should have a relationship to downtown (for example, the project, the work or the impact should be in downtown). Only one award will be given per category. Award winners will be recognized at the Downtown Austin Alliance Future of Downtown event May 15, 2024 and may also be celebrated in a video feature.
Submitters will be asked to complete a short application including the following:
- Submitter name, contact information and relationship to nominee.
- Name of nominee or project and contact information.
- Award Category: Community Culture or Downtown Vision.
- Affiliation or name of the group the nominee works for now or in the past.
- Location where nominee currently resides.
- Why your nominee deserves to be given the Award based on the award criteria. Include detailed information about their contributions, past achievements and/or current projects, highlighting the relationship to downtown Austin.*
- Names and affiliations of 2-5 references we can speak with that can provide testimony, quotes and other content for video purposes.
- Photos can be attached but are not required.
Our outstanding panel of judges includes the following visionaries working in their own ways to make Downtown Austin the downtown you will always love:
- Matt Curtis
- Meredith Powell
- Xavier Pena
- Teresa Alvarez
- Jehmu Greene
- Volma Overton IIII
- Amy Mok Wong