New requirements with the Stay Home-Work Safe order extension through May 30 for the City of Austin and June 15 for Travis County requires all individuals to continue to:
- Ask individuals to stay home and refrain from attending social gatherings of any size outside a single household, subject to stated exceptions.
- Require face coverings in public, while making it clear that no civil or criminal penalty will be imposed for failure to wear one.
- Ask individuals to practice social distancing, maintaining at least a six-foot distance from other individuals, and to wash their hands regularly with soap.
Further Modifications to City Operations include The Parks and Recreation Department (PARD) will monitor park capacity
Beginning May 8, safety measures will be introduced to manage attendance at Emma Long Metropolitan Park, Commons Ford Ranch Metropolitan Park, and Walter E. Long Metropolitan Park.
- Once capacity is reached at these parks, signage will indicate no additional vehicles will be admitted. Staff will be on-site to educate park patrons and inform them of closures.
- Starting Thursday, May 14, day passes or reservations are required in order to enter the three parks every Thursday to Sunday. A limited number of passes will be available per day. No registration is required Monday through Wednesday.
Visit Public Spaces
While it’s best to stay inside, if you need to walk your dog or get a little fresh air, here are ways to stay safe while visiting parks and public spaces, including Republic Square, taking a walk to see downtown’s newest murals at The LINE and on Lamar Blvd, and using the trail:
- Maintain social distancing of at least 6 feet between people
- Avoid touching structure & equipment, if you do, immediately wash your hands. Bring your own hand sanitizer as a backup!
- Cover your cough or sneeze with a tissue
- And most importantly, stay home if you feel sick!
See the Trail Foundation’s Tips for Using the Trail
Health & Wellness
Review the CDC’s Article on Managing Anxiety & Stress During COVID-19
Online Fitness Options
Connect with the Community
Things to do at Home
The Austin Public Library’s Expanded Virtual Library
Stream KUTX all day, every day
Watch ACL Live tapings online
Activities for the Whole Family
Themed-Trivia Night with Get it Gals
Writing on the Walls programming partner, Get it Gals, will continue trivia night online at 8:00 PM every Tuesday beginning tomorrow. See more of their online events & fundraisers!
Although Bike to Work Day has been postponed, Austin Transportation invites you to celebrate Bike Month with virtual events, sharing safety tips, and highlighting active transportation programs online all month long in May.
Color Your Future, Download our Downtown Austin Coloring Book
The Paramount Theatre’s free online series, Paramount Conversations, presents compelling interviews with noted journalists, scientists, and various thought leaders. Watch the premiere episode with Texas Tribune CEO Evan Smith, and Pulitzer Prize-winning author Lawrence Wright.