Downtown Austin Parking Strategy
Led by the Downtown Austin Alliance, along with transportation consultants Nelson\Nygaard and key community stakeholders, the Downtown Austin Parking Strategy is a data-driven effort to develop a comprehensive parking management plan, guided by clear goals and objectives for the future of downtown.
Through robust data collection, the team developed the first-ever comprehensive inventory of public and private parking facilities in Downtown Austin. Numerous stakeholder interviews, three community workshops, and an online survey were conducted to solicit feedback on key parking challenges and desired areas of improvement.
This summer we are forming a Packing Action Team to implement and track the strategy’s recommendations while consulting with the City of Austin and other key stakeholders on short-term improvement strategies.
Main Project Components
- Focused community and stakeholder engagement at project onset to help define parking challenges and needs and inform the goals of the project. Community and stakeholder input throughout the project, including community workshops, meetings, and an online survey.
- A comprehensive inventory of existing downtown parking system, including on and off-street parking and associated regulations and infrastructure.
- Complete understanding of how the parking system is currently being used at key times throughout the day; on weekdays and weekends; district by district.
- Projection of future parking demand based on the future development of downtown. This analysis will also include the development of two different parking demand scenarios based on different applications of travel behavior, mode split, and transportation demand programs.
- Strategic Implementation Plan that addresses existing deficiencies; helps to maximize the management and use of existing parking assets; looks forward ensuring that we are planning appropriately for future parking needs while also considering future technology advancements, and creates a more user-friendly parking system.
The consulting team is led by Nelson\Nygaard Consulting Associates, an internationally recognized firm committed to developing transportation systems that promote vibrant, sustainable, and accessible communities. Nelson\Nygaard is known for their innovative and forward-thinking approach to transportation planning. The team also includes local planning firms Asakura Robinson and McCann Adams Studio, and San Diego-based Dixon Resources, experts in parking management and operations.
The Parking Strategy Steering Committee provides project direction and ensures that the effort is aligned with other city and regional planning and transportation initiatives.
- Charles Heimsath, Committee Chair, Capitol Market Research and Downtown Austin Alliance Board
- Annick Beaudet, Austin Transportation Department
- Greg Canally, Austin Financial Services Department
- John-Michael Cortez, Chief of Staff, Office of Mayor Adler
- Brian S. Greig, Norton Rose Fullbright US LLP
- Steven Halpin, Texas Facilities Commission
- Todd Hemingson, Capital Metro
- Tim Hendricks, Cousins Property, and Downtown Austin Alliance Board
- Ben Holland, Rocky Mountain Institute
- Jeff Howard, McLean & Howard and Downtown Austin Alliance Board
- Steve Grassfield, Austin Parking Enterprise
- Ashby Johnson, CAMPO
- Chi Lee, Gensler
- Steve Oliver, Chair, Planning Commission
- Martin Zamzow, Office of Travis County Commissioner Daugherty
The project kicked off in May 2016 and included robust community engagement, data collection, and stakeholder input. The Downtown Austin Parking Strategy was released in June 2017.
- Austin American-Statesman: Can’t find a parking spot in downtown Austin? Here’s why. (June 20, 2017)
- Austin Business Journal: 490 football fields of parking in downtown Austin but not a space in sight; Here's what the DAA wants to do about it (June 21, 2017)
- Austin Monitor: Austin’s next mobility challenge: downtown parking (June 22, 2017)
- CBS Austin (KEYE-TV): New parking study looks to open more spots Downtown Austin (June 20, 2017)
- Community Impact News: Stakeholders: These initiatives need to happen to improve downtown Austin parking (June 20, 2017)
- KTBC Fox 7 News: Downtown Austin Alliance presents 'Parking Strategy' to Mobility Committee (June 21, 2017)
- Austin CultureMap: Downtown Austin's major parking problems exposed in new report (June 23, 2017)
- Spectrum News: Downtown Austin Alliance pushes for parking fixes (June 22, 2017)
- Downtown Austin Alliance News: Downtown Parking Inventory & Preliminary Findings (Nov 16, 2016)
- KXAN: Study finds thousands of empty parking spaces downtown (Nov 10, 2016)
- Community Impact: Current downtown Austin parking system confusing, study shows (Nov 10, 2016)
- KUT 90.5 & Austin Monitor: Downtown Parking Study Calls for More Expensive Street Spaces (Nov 10, 2016)
- KXAN: Preliminary Downtown Parking Findings (Nov 10, 2016)
- KVUE-TV: Downtown Austin Parking Strategy (Nov 10, 2016)
- Spectrum News: Downtown Austin Alliance Looking Into Parking Woes ( Nov 10, 2016)
- KEYE-TV: More expensive street parking possible solution to parking problems (Nov 10, 2016)
- KLBJ 590 AM: Downtown Parking Strategy (Nov 10, 2016)
- KTBC-TV: Downtown Austin Alliance working to solve Austin's parking woes (Nov 9, 2016)
- Downtown Alliance News: Downtown Parking Strategy Underway (July 11, 2016)
- KXAN: Efforts hope to improve downtown parking woes (May 11, 2016)
- Austin Monitor: A census, but for downtown parking (May 11, 2016)
- Community Impact: Downtown Austin Alliance to Launch Parking Study (May 10, 2016)
- KVUE-TV: Community Asked to Weigh In on Parking Issues in Downtown Austin (May 10, 2016)
- Time Warner Cable News: Downtown Austin Study Details Parking Woes (May 10, 2016)
- KVUE-TV: Downtown Austin Alliance funding parking plan (May 10, 2016)
- KXAN: New study to examine downtown Austin parking
(November 23, 2015)