Downtown Austin Parking Strategy
Led by the Downtown Austin Alliance, the Downtown Austin Parking Strategy is a comprehensive, forward-thinking effort to improve parking in the downtown area. The initiative begins with a comprehensive inventory of existing parking, as well as an assessment of future parking needs. Community workshops and focus groups will help define the challenges for downtown parking users such as office tenants, businesses, retailers, residents, and visitors.
With a complete understanding of parking supply and demand, strategies will be developed to use existing parking resources more efficiently and improve the parking experience - ultimately supporting the City’s continued economic vitality.
Click here to be added to our email list for project news and updates.
Main Project Components
- Focused community and stakeholder engagement at project onset to help define parking challenges and needs and inform the goals of the project. Community and stakeholder input throughout the project, including community workshops, meetings, and an online survey.
- Comprehensive inventory of existing downtown parking system, including on and off-street parking and associated regulations and infrastructure.
- Complete understanding of how the parking system is currently being used at key times throughout the day; on weekdays and weekends; district by district.
- Projection of future parking demand based on future development of downtown. This analysis will also include development of two different parking demand scenarios based on different applications of travel behavior, mode split, and transportation demand programs.
- Strategic Implementation Plan that addresses existing deficiencies; helps to maximize the management and use of existing parking assets; looks forward to ensure that we are planning appropriately for future parking needs while also considering future technology advancements; and creates a more user-friendly parking system.
The consulting team is led by Nelson\Nygaard Consulting Associates, an internationally recognized firm committed to developing transportation systems that promote vibrant, sustainable, and accessible communities. Nelson\Nygaard is known for their innovative and forward-thinking approach to transportation planning. The team also includes local planning firms Asakura Robinson and McCann Adams Studio, and San Diego based Dixon Resources, experts in parking management and operations.
The Parking Strategy Steering Committee provides project direction and ensures that the effort is aligned with other city and regional planning and transportation initiatives.
- Charles Heimsath, Committee Chair, Capitol Market Research and Downtown Austin Alliance Board
- Annick Beaudet, Austin Transportation Department
- Greg Canally, Austin Financial Services Department
- John-Michael Cortez, Chief of Staff, Office of Mayor Adler
- Brian S. Greig, Norton Rose Fullbright US LLP
- Steven Halpin, Texas Facilities Commission
- Todd Hemingson, Capital Metro
- Tim Hendricks, Cousins Property and Downtown Austin Alliance Board
- Ben Holland, Rocky Mountain Institute
- Jeff Howard, McLean & Howard and Downtown Austin Alliance Board
- Steve Grassfield, Austin Parking Enterprise
- Ashby Johnson, CAMPO
- Chi Lee, Gensler
- Steve Oliver, Chair, Planning Commission
- Martin Zamzow, Office of Travis County Commissioner Daugherty
The project kicked off in May 2016 and continues through spring 2017.
- Downtown Austin Alliance News: Downtown Parking Inventory & Premlinary Findings (Nov 16, 2016)
KXAN: Study finds thousands of empty parking spaces downtown (Nov 10, 2016)
KXAN: Preliminary Downtown Parking Findings (Nov 10, 2016)
KVUE-TV: Downtown Austin Parking Strategy (Nov 10, 2016)
KLBJ 590 AM: Downtown Parking Strategy (Nov 10, 2016)
Downtown Alliance News: Downtown Parking Strategy Underway (July 11, 2016)
- KXAN: Efforts hope to improve downtown parking woes (May 11, 2016)
- Austin Monitor: A census, but for downtown parking (May 11, 2016)
- Community Impact: Downtown Austin Alliance to Launch Parking Study (May 10, 2016)
- KVUE-TV: Community Asked to Weigh In on Parking Issues in Downtown Austin (May 10, 2016)
- Time Warner Cable News: Downtown Austin Study Details Parking Woes (May 10, 2016)
- KVUE-TV: Downtown Austin Alliance funding parking plan (May 10, 2016)
- KXAN: New study to examine downtown Austin parking
(November 23, 2015)